Thursday 27 July 2023

Mini Sealed Scroll craft for Bible Class

These are a great craft to do with your Bible class if you want to encourage them to learn memory verses in a fun way. The wax seals really give a certain charm about them.





A page I recently wrote about, Letters to Early Christians quiet book page - Interview with Jessica, has inspired a whole lot of scroll creations. This was not the first, but it seems to be the first I am going to post.




I kinda really like these Mini Sealed Scrolls and I kinda don't. 

They are really cute and fun, but they don't demonstrate that a seal can't be re-sealed after it has been opened...

(Have I mentioned before that I like toys that "work")?

Oh well, they are helping us learn more memory verses.




We used a Posca fabric marker to write the Bible verse. You need to iron it to set it so it doesn't wash out if you need to clean the scroll. But I have used regular pen before and it seems to work fine as well (not sure about the wash-ability though).





Here is a tutorial on how to do the wax seal (I just used felt instead of paper):

Wax Seals for Beginners - Everything You Need to Know! Channel: Katrina Crouch




For the first version I tried making I sewed press studs down on a single sheet of felt, but then I realised that the cotton showed through to the other side - right in the middle of where I wanted to write the Bible verse.




I tried hot gluing the press studs onto felt instead. That seems to have worked, but I am not confident it would last, and this is of course dangerous for small children, so I didn't proceed with that idea.





I tried using Velcro dots instead. Just make sure you set the pen with an iron before adding the Velcro dots or the iron will melt the hot glue and it may come through onto the side with the Bible verse written on it (as you can see below).





I had hoped that using a Velcro dot would make the seal sit flush with the rest of the felt underneath so it looked like it was doing more of the job a seal should be doing, but it is rather thick and the press stud actually looks better.





My stick of seal wax ran low pretty quickly, so I looked up if you can use candle wax instead. You can't - it's not flexible enough. So now I am hankering to try using cheese wax... wish me well!




Now we can't wait to make a bunch of these with everyone in Bible Class!




Follow Faith and Felt Obsession on FacebookPinterest and You Tube

Which Bible verse would you choose to write on one of these?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not understanding how you make the red waxed dot itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question, it looks like I neglected to mention that! I just used a wax seal kit, the kind you use to seal letters, and used it on a sheet of felt instead of paper. After it was dry, I cut around it as shown in the pictures and glued a vecro dot on the underside of the felt where the wax seal was. Then velcro-ed on the other half of the velcro dot, rolled the scroll up and added hot glue to the other velcro dot to glue it in the correct place. I'll add a tutorial into the post, thanks.

      Delete

Please post a comment: