Thursday 29 July 2021

Interview with Michelle Dawson - Using a Cutting Machine to Help Make Quiet Books

Today I would like to introduce you to Michelle Dawson and find out how she uses her cutting machine to help make quiet books. I know a lot of people own or are thinking about buying a cutting machine for quiet book making so I thought you might like to read about how useful it may or may not be before you make a big investment.




Carissa D: Which type of cutting machine do you own and would you buy it again?


Michelle: I have a Brother Scan'n'Cut, a CM 300. I have had it around 4 1/2 years now. I do a lot of paper crafting and I initially wanted the machine for this reason. I am really not techy at all, and I actually find the machine very easy to use; on occasion I find the Brother Canvas programme a bit frustrating - this is an online programme where you can design your projects and edit them before moving them to the machine (my machine doesn't have WiFi, I have to use a USB to transfer the project, but I don't find that an issue), although I think that's more a lack of regular practice. I love that I can easily access free files on the internet and download them, pretty much anything I can think of is available. My machine happily cuts a huge range of materials, from thin papers to vinyl to felt to construction board and I'm yet to find something I want to cut which I can't.

Carissa D: I am not a big fan of cutting machines, but I know you really liked using it to make your quiet book. What are the advantages in your opinion?


Michelle: I have mainly used my machine to cut a paper template and then pinned this onto my felt and cut that, but that's personal preference. I like that it is really really easy to resize the image and/or to add an offset line for a seam allowance. I find that I am able to mock up pages in paper and try them in different layouts before I commit to felt which is much more expensive, and this has meant that I know if I'm pleased with the overall effect first. As I said before, the internet has myriad free SVG cutting files which means that I can create pages with just about anything I want, or which fits with my mini man's interests. I find that using my Scan'n'Cut to cut my templates has saved me a lot of time, something really important to me.





Carissa D: Do you have your cutting machine permanently set up somewhere, or do you store it away and get it out each time you use it?


Michelle: My cutting machine is permanently set up. I have a desk in the spare room and I keep my Scan'n'Cut on it. I find that the actual footprint doesn't take much space or get in the way, it's about 10 inches deep and I have it turned so that it's the depth of the desk, so only takes that 10 inches ish of space

Carissa D: Did you notice any disadvantages or things people considering using one should be aware of?


Michelle: In order to cut fabric on my machine, I have to stick it to a mat (as far as I'm aware this would be true of any cutting machine). I found it frustrating that the felt looked a bit 'fluffy' after this, although only on the rear, and mainly that the mat very quickly became furred up, and therefore not sticky, but by using a paper template I addressed this issue.
If you're good with scissors you can probably print and cut a very good shape without the cost of the machine which I admit is considerable, but as the new mother of a baby and now toddler (and another little addition on the way) time is very much of the essence and being able to set the machine going as I get out of the shower or similar is really valuable to me.




Carissa D: How many quiet book pages have you made using your cutting machine and which is your favourite?


Michelle: I have used my Scan'n'Cut to create at least an element of every page I have made so far, from cutting templates for basic shapes (circles, squares, triangles...), to cutting a crocodile and balloons.
My favourite page is a large ladybird who has black spots which attach using press studs, I like the textures and the simplicity of the image. The page was probably 2-3 hours work because I hand sew, and having a ready cut paper template saved me a lot of cutting time.

Carissa D: Which is your favourite Faith and Felt Obsession post and why?


Michelle: Your quiet book making tips are absolutely invaluable. It's so helpful having so many hints and tips in one easy to find location, and things which are tried and tested.

Last year I joined in the sew along [Quiet Book Sew Along Facebook Group - Events Tab] and I loved the motivation and the ideas, even though by the end of the year I did lose my oomph with it. Your page suggestions were fun, a good range of simple and detailed and also covered a lot of activities and skills.




Carissa D: Thank you so much for sharing with us Michelle! I love that you were able to find a way to speed up the process of making quiet books. Anything that will keep us motivated to create is great. For those of us who do not own a cutting machine and are wondering how to re-size their images you can read some other suggestions on my How to re-size printable quiet book templates to fit your page size post. Your pages are pretty cute and I'm sure your mini-man loves playing with them. Well done!





Follow Faith and Felt Obsession on FacebookPinterest and You Tube

Do you use a cutting machine to help make your quiet books? How do you use yours? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment: