Thursday 7 October 2021

5 Ways to Measure and Cut Quiet Book Pages

Which is the best way to measure and cut fabric for quiet books is a common question people ask when they are thinking of starting to sew a quiet book for the first time. I have compiled a few examples below so you can choose the method that suits you best.




Of course, for all the methods, it is best to wash and iron the fabric before cutting to ensure it doesn't shrink afterwards.


1 - Fold and Cut

Simply fold your material into squares (or rectangles depending on the size book you want to create) and cut along all folds. This works well for when you want to use the same fabric for all the pages of your busy book. If you want different fabric for each page, another method will suit you better.




2 - Template Drawing

This is the method I use. I have decided on the sizes I want to use a lot and have made templates out of some cardboard I had laying around. Then depending on how precise I want to be, or how slippery the fabric is, I simply place it on my fabric and either cut around it, or draw on the fabric and then cut using plain old scissors.

You can just use a kid's picture book to get the sizing right too. If you look at the age recommendation on the book, it will give you an idea of what a good page size for that age looks like. Just remember to cut extra for the hem.




3 - Quilting Ruler and Rotary Cutter

If you want to do a lot of fabric cutting, you may want to invest in some tools. This method is easier on the hands if you are finding you get strains, or you have arthritis or such.




4 - Clip and Rip

This method ensures that your fabric is cut straight along the grain, and is rather quick. You may not get as many squares out of your fabric as you thought though. The video demonstrates how to make strips, but you can definitely cut the other sides of the squares in the same way.




5 - Laser Cutting Machine

This last method is of course very expensive and is therefore suited to large scale production, which I am guessing most of my readers are not going to be into. But I know you are all going to be drooling in wishful thinking like I am! Of course, this is an example of the detailed cuts which can be done, but you can also cut plain boring background pages this way too.




Which method suits your needs best? Have I missed a method? I'd love to hear about it.




Follow Faith and Felt Obsession on FacebookPinterest and You Tube

How do you cut your pages? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment: